Are you experiencing lag and ping issues while playing Fortnite on your PC? The article contains some useful methods that can help you to fix Fortnite lag on your PC.
Recently, Fortnite won the best eSports game of the year award. Graphics in Fortnite are fantastic, but due to its high graphics and dynamic settings, many gamers are facing issues related to Fortnite lag. It is so frustrating that even if you have skills but still you cannot show those skills to your friends due to lagging issues.
But don’t worry, we had researched in-depth and found out the ways which can help you to fix Fortnite lag. Many gamers had reduced the lagging issue in Fortnite by implementing the below methods. But before we start, make sure that your PC meets the minimum required specifications to run Fortnite on your PC.
Minimum Requirements For Fortnite
- Operating System – Windows 7/8/10
- Processor – Intel i3 2.3Ghz
- RAM – 4 GB
- Graphics Card – Intel HD 4000
- System Architecture – 64 bit
- HDD Space – 16 GB
- DirectX – DirectX 11.0
Let’s see the recommended requirements for Fortnite to run smoothly on your PC. It will help you to buy the components for your PC wisely if you just want to play Fortnite on your PC.
Recommended Requirements For Fortnite
- Operating System – Windows 7/8/10
- Processor – Intel i5 2.8Ghz
- RAM – 8 GB
- Graphics Card – AMD Radeon HD 7870 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
- System Architecture – 64 bit
- HDD Space – 20 GB
- DirectX – DirectX 11.0
If you are willing to buy a PC for Fortnite streaming, buy only the PC whose specifications are higher than Fortnite’s recommended requirements.
(Related – Fix Grand Theft Auto 5 Lag on Your PC)
How to Fix Lag in Fortnite and Increase FPS Quickly – 12 Best Methods
Here are the best methods which will definitely help you to fix Fortnite lag and will boost FPS in the game. Just make sure that you implement each method mentioned below and then try playing the game.
- Adjust Best Settings for Fortnite
- Use Kill Ping to Reduce your Ping
- Update to Latest Drivers Version
- Adjust your Graphics Card Settings
- Set Battery Power Plan to High-Performance Mode
- Change the DirectX Version to DirectX 12 (Beta)
- Disable Fullscreen Optimization
- Install TimerResolution
- Clear Fortnite Game Cache
- Change the Fortnite Game Priority
- Change of Visual Effects to Best Performance
- Update to Latest Patch of Fortnite
Now, Let’s see how to implement each method to boost fps in Fortnite.
1) Adjust Best Settings for Fortnite
If you have a low-end PC and you are playing the game on higher settings, then definitely your Fortnite game will lag. You have to lower those settings to increase the Fortnite FPS. There are various settings options available in Fortnite settings, which will help to reduce lags while playing it.
If you have a low-end PC, then you must change the Game settings to the following settings mentioned below:-
- Set Mode – Autoset
- Quality Presets – Low
- View Distance – Near
- Shadows – Off
- Anti-Aliasing – Off
- Textures – Low
- Light Effects – Low
- Post Processing – Low
- Multi-Threading Mode – Allow
- GPU Debugging – Off
- Vsync – Off
- Motion Blur – Off
- Resolution – 1600×900 (16:9)
Note:- Lowering your Resolution will make display pixels a little blur but, in return, will help a lot for reducing lag and increasing the Fortnite FPS. But do not lower it too much.
If you had turned on the Replays, you must turn off all the Replay options as Fortnite captures your Death cams and Kills in the background of the game, which increases the lag during gameplay.
2) Use Kill Ping to Reduce your Ping
If you are facing the Fortnite Ping issue, then you can try the Kill Ping service, which helps to reduce the ping in the Fortnite game. Kill ping helps to choose the shortest dedicated path for your data packets to reach the game server. It also prevents congestion in the network while sending the packets through a dedicated path.
Although Kill Ping is a paid service, it is quite cheap to buy. It affects a lot if you want to reduce your Ping in the Fortnite game. You can check out the Kill Ping service for the Fortnite game.
3) Update to Latest Drivers Version
Make sure you always update to the latest driver’s version if available. Upgrading your outdated graphics drivers helps to reduce most of the rendering lags in the game. Mostly, if you are using an Nvidia graphics card, then you must update it frequently because they release new driver’s patches every week.
Lots of Free software is available on the Internet, which helps to update all your outdated drivers to the latest version by just clicking the Update button. You can try Driver Booster Pro, which is free and always update their driver’s database frequently.
To update all your Outdated drivers, Follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Download Advanced Driver Booster Pro and install it on your PC
- After Installation, Driver Booster will automatically scan your PC and checks the Outdated drivers
- Once the scanning finishes, it will prompt all the Outdated drivers whose New versions are available in their database.
- Just click on Download all button and Driver Booster will download all the Latest Drivers
- Once the download finishes, Driver Booster will automatically create a restore point for your PC and install all the latest drivers
- Just Restart your PC after installation and All done. You had successfully updated your Outdated drivers.
Note:- If you want to restore your PC to the previous form, then you can use the Restore point created by Driver Booster before installing the latest drivers in your PC.
(Related – Best Ways To Fix Lag in NoxPlayer)
4) Adjust your Graphics Card Settings
Graphics Card Driver provides an optimal balance between Performance and Power. You can completely switch to Performance mode to boost your Fortnite game performance. Just follow some instructions mentioned below in your Graphics Card settings. In my case, I am using an Nvidia Graphics card. Therefore, I need to open the Nvidia Control Panel.
Follow the below instructions after opening the Graphics control panel:-
- Go to 3D Settings in Navigation Panel
- Select Adjust Image Settings with Preview
- In the New Panel that opens, Select Use the Advanced 3D image settings.
- Now go to Manage 3D settings in the Navigational panel and open 3D settings.
- Adjust the Control according to your Fortnite game preferences in the Global Settings.
- In the Power Management Plan, switch your plan from Optimal to Maximum Performance.
- Save your Settings
Note:- It is preferred by many people not to switch to the “Maximum Performance” mode because it makes your GPU overclock and run at high speed, making it hot.
Therefore. It is only preferred to change the setting if you have a liquid cooling technology in your Cabinet. You can read more about Optimizing your Graphics Control Panel by Techradar.
5) Set Battery Power Plan to High-Performance Mode
By just changing the Power Plan from Balanced to High Performance helps to provide more resources for Applications to run the game smoothly. In the default case, the Power Plan assigns to Balanced Mode.
To change to High-Performance mode, follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Go to your Control Panel and Search Power Option in the search box
- Click on the Power Option and change your plan mode from Balanced to High Performance.
- You had successfully set the power plan to High-Performance mode
6) Change the DirectX Version to DirectX 12 (Beta)
Microsoft DirectX is an API that helps developers to make their game smoother and helps to steady your framerate in your game. But, DirectX supports only some Graphics cards and works on Windows 1607 or higher versions.
First, make sure that DirectX 12 (Beta) is available for your Graphics card. You can check it out at your Graphics Card manufacturer’s website. If it is available, then download and install DirectX 12 on your PC.
To switch to DirectX 12 (Beta) in Fortnite game, Follow these steps:-
- Run your Fortnite Game
- Open your Fortnite Settings
- Go to the Advanced Graphics section, and Go to Change DirectX version.
- Switch to DirectX 12 (Beta) by pressing the Right arrow key
But in some cases, changing the DirectX version to DirectX 12 sometimes crashes the game, but it occurs in a minimal example.
(Related:- How to Fix Gameloop Lag for PUBG mobile)
7) Disable Fullscreen Optimization & Change DPI Settings
Whenever you play a game on Fullscreen mode, Windows optimizes the game for Fullscreen mode. However, this Fullscreen optimization sometimes causes crashes and reduces FPS for increasing Graphics Quality.
To disable Fullscreen optimization, you need to disable it for 3 Fortnite game files (FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping).
Follow these steps to disable fullscreen optimization:-
- Open your My Computer
- Go to Program Files/Epic Games/Fortnite/FortniteGame/Binary/Win64
- In this folder, you will find 3 Fortnite applications (i.e., FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping)
- Right-click on (FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping) and click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab, and in the settings section, click on Disable Fullscreen Optimizations.
- Click on Change DPI Settings and select Override High DPI Scaling Behaviour and choose Application in it
- Repeat 4 to 6 steps again for the other 2 Fortnite applications.
(Related – Best Methods to Fix Free Fire Lag Quickly)
8) Install Timer Resolution
Timer Resolution helps to boost FPS by decreasing the PC response time and Input delay. It is essential to try if you are facing an Input delay in Fortnite.
Just Download the Timer Resolution and Extract it. For extraction, you will require Winrar or Winzip software to Extract the Timer Resolution zip file. After extraction, run the Timer Resolution and Click on the Maximum button.
Now, run your Fornite game and make sure that Timer Resolution is running in the background process. After playing the Fortnite game, disable the Maximum button to revert to standard windows timer resolution.
9) Clear Fortnite Game Cache
Did you ever notice the FPS frame when you played the Fortnite game for the first time? It will always be too high, and after playing lots of rounds in the game, its performance decreases.
Reverting your Fortnite can help to improve the FPS in the game. You can return it by just clearing the game caches located in the Localappdata folder.
To clear Fortnite cache, follow the steps below:-
- Open Run from Windows Start Menu
- Type %localappdata% and hit Enter
- A new windows dialog box will open which will show caches stored in the Local folder of all the applications installed in your system
- Locate for FortniteGame and rename the FortniteGame to FortniteGame1.
- Run your Game. You had cleared your Fortnite Cache
- By just renaming the folder, Fortnite cache stored in your PC will get clear.
Clearing the cache will not destroy your Control settings, but it will change your Graphics settings. You can adjust your Graphics settings to Previous settings. In case you want to restore the previous cache of Fortnite, then rename your FortniteGame1 folder to FortniteGame.
10) Change the Fortnite Game Priority
Changing the priority of Fortnite can help the OS to allocate more resources like Memory, etc. for the game. By default, Fortnite runs on Normal priority mode. You can change the Priority from the Task Manager.
To change the Fortnite Game priority, follow these steps: –
- Run your Fortnite game
- Open Task Manager by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
- Go to the Details tab, and search for Fortnite application
- Right-click on it, and go to Set Priority and set it to High.
- All done. Close your Task Manager.
There is a Real-time priority option available but do not set it to Real-time because other processes will get meager resources for running and might cause your system to slow down a lot.
11) Change of Visual Effects to Best Performance
By just switching to maximum performance mode, you can reduce useless effects and process running in the background process, It will improve the performance of your system and your Fortnite game.
To change the visual effects, follow these steps:-
- Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and click on Properties.
- Click on Advanced System Settings located in the left sidebar of the Properties.
- In the Performance tab, click on Settings.
- In the Visual Effects tab, choose the Adjust for best performance option.
- Click on Apply.
Now, you have successfully adjusted your Visual effects to High-performance mode to maximize the performance of your Fortnite and system improvement.
12) Update to Latest Patch of Fortnite
Fortnite releases Patch every week to optimize their performance and improve their game behavior. It is mandatory to always update to Latest Patch whenever it is available. By default, Fortnite game on loading the Lobby always check for update and prompt to download it. Just download and install the patch. Restart your Fortnite game after installing the patch.
Fixing Fortnite lag is quite easy. You can easily fix lag and boost fps in Fortnite just by following the above-mentioned methods. If the above methods did not work for you, It’s time for you to upgrade your PC.
Share the post with your other Fortnite friends who are frustrated with Fortnite lag. If you are facing any problem while implementing the above steps, comment below with the problem details. I will try to help you out as soon as possible.